Personal Safety Men
Personal safety is not just a woman's issue, it affects men as well!
FACT: Men are twice as likely to be a victim of a violent attack as women.
Current statistics: 76% of all violent crime is on young men, by young men between the ages of 16 to 24 years. Most of the attacks are ego and alpha male orientated. A source of considerable danger for men is the tendency to fight over words, property or territory. You could be attacked because of this, or you may be tempted to start a fight for such reasons. From alcohol fueled attacks, road rage, muggings and gang culture attacks, the emotions of both attacker and victim can run high.
You are safest if you see fighting as a last resort and do what you can to stay safe without having to fight. Your safest choice is to try to use your awareness and intuition to avoid potentially dangerous situations. Equally, it is important to know how to fight when you have no other choice. With a mixture of mind and muscle, ‘Personal Safety Men," is an award winning, realistic, 90 minute practical, self-defence workshop, dedicated to empowering men, young men and boys of all ages and backgrounds.
Wearing comfortable training clothes and to ensure you enjoy the learning experience, the presentation is of an informal nature. Ultimately, you will learn skills that enable you to create options because there are no rules, etiquette or philosophy in the streets.
1. Don't get hit - It sounds like a strange statement and this is not meant flippantly, This skill can be learned very quickly. It is all about controlling the distance and your position - make sure you master distance and positioning to ensure that you don't get hit.
2. Learn how to guard just in case you get distancing wrong and need to cover up - Developing an impenetrable guard can get you out of many brutal attacks alive. Many fights and attacks are over in the first few seconds and finished by one lucky, or unlucky punch depending on which side of the fence you are standing. In fact, talking about "the fence" this is a powerful technique which if mastered stops your opponent getting close enough to hit you and if they break through it will be on your terms.
3. Most fights end up in the clinch i.e. getting grabbed by your attacker - Learn how to control your opponent in a clinch.
4. Many fights end up on the ground - Learn the art of ground fighting and escaping from this situation. If you get pinned by a larger stronger attacker this could be a very dangerous situation.
5. Learn about pressure points - Where you can inflict damage or pain on a much larger stronger opponent.
6. Learn about bio-mechanics - This is about the power of leverage and how you can overpower a larger stronger attacker without the need for physical strength.
7. Overcome your fear of being attached - Fear can be useful if controlled but debilitating if you are not used to it. By drilling real attacks in a safe environment you can turn fear into a positive weapon.
8. Understanding the psychology of your attacker - Why is your attacker attacking you? What are their motivations? What are they afraid of? Why did the pick on you? There is an answer to all these questions and if you understand the mentality and motivation of your attacker you can tailor your approach for the most effective self-defence. What you say and do will vary depending on whether your attacker is, looking for financial gain, affected by peer pressure or mentally disturbed.
9. Understand the law - What you can and can't do and making sure that your response is appropriate. Self-defence in the UK is permitted but the response has to be proportionate and legally defensible in a court of law.
10. Personal safety and self-protection - It's even more powerful than the techniques. Understanding why you are selected as a victim for being weak and isolated (in the view of your attacker) can ensure that you do not put yourself in danger in the first place. Ultimately, the best self-defence is avoidance.
How to Get Involved
If you want to come along to a class where you can learn real and tested techniques that could give you the self confidence that you’ve always wanted, then simply drop us a line on the CONTACT US page. There are many options for classes; we have some set classes that you can come along to, or if you would prefer to participate with some of your friends or colleagues and there are 10 of you, then we are happy to run a private workshop, near you and for you.